Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Random

I went to Waldenbooks to start a gift bag for my father for Father's Day. He loves Rachael Ray so one item that is going in his gift bag is a 30 Minute Meals for Guys cookbook. The clerk who was there looked to be about my age. I asked her if she had any fun retirement gifts, like maybe a "Retirement for Dummies" book. She couldn't find any, but suggested something along a joke theme of getting old. Then she said, "When my mom turned 30, I gave something like that to her." I almost fell. Did she say her mother is 30? How old was this girl? I made a comment about how when I turned 30, a friend wished me a "Happy Anniversary of my 29th birthday" and she said that she wished she thought of that. I left the store picturing her saying, "That girl is the same age as my mom!"

Trading Spouses is hilarious. It's my new summer guilty pleasure.

I haven't followed up with the Board of Health, given that our last conversation didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but since the day she was going to stop over to see the neighbors, the dogs are almost non-existent. When I have seen them, they've been leashed to the side of the trailer, away from our yard. Not the outcome we hoped for since I first made the call to the Fire Inspector, but still a huge improvement to what it was before. Who says you can't fight City Hall?

I feel like a moron when I go into a restaurant chain where the menu never changes and cannot for the life of me order a meal intelligently. I ordered a grilled chicken filet pocket from D'Angelo's for lunch and was asked what I wanted on it.
"What comes with it?"
"Whatever you want."
I look at the menu for any vegetables or dressings offered. Nothing.
"How bout lettuce, onion, pickles?"
"Okay. Anything else on it?"
"What else can I get?"
"Anything you want."
So I order everything but mayo and he seemed relieved. It was a really good sandwich.

2 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

I don't like Rachael Ray. Bring on the BAM BAM BAM! And Molto Mario too. And Jamie Oliver, can't forget him.

Mad Housewife said...

neighborly update?