Monday, June 20, 2005

Happy Father's Day!

I get strange looks from a few people when I tell them that we're having the family over for a barbecue on Father's Day.

My family celebrates every holiday together. Every birthday and other gift-giving holiday is a get-together, even if schedules aren't compatible until a month later. My husband and my sister-in-law never did this either, until they joined our family. Before they married into the clan, they were used to cards and a phone call. Now they deal with looking at calendars and finding a day to set aside, asking, "What can I bring?", and preparing for a full day with the family.

Yesterday was our turn to host. This is our 3rd annual Father's Day at my house, and luckily the weather was perfect. Everyone was assigned a food. We supplied the burgers and hot dogs, I made a salad, mom brought chicken wings, mom-in-law brought potato salad and cole slaw, brother brought dessert and sister-in-law brought corn on the cob. Afterwards, the women cleaned up (now that's a tradition I'd like to see changed!), gifts were exchanged, and that was it. It's what I'm used to. And I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I asked two fathers last week what their plans were for Sunday. Mowing the lawn, probably the gym, nothing much. Both were father's of young children, which to me seemed odd. It would make sense to me if they lived far enough away from their kids that celebrating with family wasn't possible, but to be with their kids and not celebrate it in fashion just seems.... unorthodox.


Is celebrating holidays together passe?

3 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

Nothing wrong with that! More power to ya! All hail, Jodi's family!!

Jodi said...

We totally do family stuff for holidays too. Father's day consisted of a family brunch, walking around at an arts and crafts fair and then a bbq for dinner. it was an all day affair and included three generations. I think there's no better way to do it.

Quycksilver said...

sounds like a nice way to spend the day. living 2500 miles from my dad (and my mom), I had to settle for a phone call.