Monday, June 06, 2005

The Portuguese Cha-Cha

"Stoughton Police. This call is being recorded."

The music was extremely loud. Ken and I had just gotten back from dinner with his parents. It was 10:30. We could still hear the music no matter what room of the house we went into. Maybe someone was having a party.

11:00. Trying to sleep. This music keeps me awake. Just when I think it's dying down, it starts up again, louder. You have got to be kidding me.

I read the Police and Fire Logs in the local paper and wonder about the person who calls the police over music. I would shake my head and wonder why some people can't just lighten up. Fast forward to now and someone is blaring music in my neighborhood an hour before midnight. Who could be so inconsiderate? Especially since we have to wake up early the next morning. We open the windows trying to follow the sound. Does it sound louder from the back of the house or the side? Or maybe it's coming from the front?

Ken tells the officer that someone is playing music ridiculously loud. It's heard throughout the neighborhood. And now the dogs are barking next door. After a while, the barking seems in tune with the music. I'm embarrassed to be the someone to call the police over music. I don't want them thinking I'm that type of person.

"What's your street, sir?"

Ken tells him.

"Okay, we'll check it out."

11:15. There is a knock at our door. It's the police.

"The Portuguese Music Festival is tonight. That's the sound you hear. It should end at midnight."

No wonder I have a splitting headache this morning.

5 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

God love the Portuguese!

Jodi said...

wow. that SUCKS. that happened to me last weekend but it was a kegger... not a music festival and we didn't call the cops because we were too worried about making the neighbors hate us. (which is totally hypocritical considering the advice i gave you about your neighbor problem. shessh.) :)

sorry about your headache.

Quycksilver said...

I have called the police about loud music and loud neighbors. But in my defense, the non-music time was when my neighbors were having a very loud, very public, drunken fight involving slammed doors, vomit and nudity. It was scary-weird--thankfully, those neighbors moved out not long after this incident.

Mad Housewife said...

Olé!

Rat In A Cage said...

Ay caramba!