Thursday, June 23, 2005

Please Pass The Jello

I hate the dentist. Yes, I know that 'hate' is a very strong word, but I hate the dentist.

My first time with this new dentist, he replaced some fillings. They were over 15 years old and were due to be replaced. Take the silver out, put the white in. After he stuck the novocaine needle into my gums, I began to sweat. And my hands started to shake. It must be the epinephrine, he said, I guess you have a bad reaction to it. I wondered if I could have nitrous oxide the next time. Even though that mask was uncomfortable, I used to have mini-hallucinations when they gave it to me when I was younger. A calm, floating feeling. His voice snapped me out of the memory. No more epinephrine for you, he promised. He replaced one filling and I was on my way. Next time he'll replace the top tooth on the other side. Then I'll be done.

The second appt. I asked for the gas. Not for this, he said. Besides, I'm not going to use epinephrine on you today. It'll be something much milder. He was right, whatever he used wasn't too bad. He replaced that filling, and as soon as I was about to tell him that I'll see him for my 6-month cleaning, he announced that next time he'll do the bottom. "I thought you were done," I begged. Done with the top. I can't do it all in one appointment, he replied. Of course.

Third time is not the charm. My last appointment. I went in and was told that he was very behind schedule and could I wait 45 minutes? I lied and told them that I had somewhere to be at 8:00. It was 6:30. "If that's a problem, I can reschedule." I had no problem going home and putting this off longer. The receptionist came back and said that he would take me in 10 minutes, and I'll definitely be home by 8.

Ten minutes later, I went in and sat on the chair, more relaxed. It was the last appointment and I knew that I would be getting the milder sedative. He gave me the novocaine and I started to get a little shaky again. I looked at him concerned. Must be the epinephrine again, he said. If I could feel my tongue, I would have complained. He put a damp towel on my head and left the room while I relaxed. He then apologized for the delay, but he's bouncing between appointments. He excused himself again, but not before putting in a video of aquatic life. That should relax you more, he said, before heading off to Unlucky Patient #2.

He was in and out throughout my visit, and yes, maybe had I waited the 45 minutes, I would have had his undivided attention. But I knew the faster I was in, the faster I get out. I have to hand it to him because miraculously, I was home a few minutes after 8:00.

As I sat with a towel on my forehead, no feeling in my gums, and watching sharks look for food and scuba divers examine seaweed, I pondered why I was there in the first place.

Junk food. Junk food at 10 years old led to cavities that led to the fillings. Forget childhood obesity. The real reason to avoid eating loads of sugar when you're a child is to avoid sitting in a dentists chair when you're 30 watching fish swim.


7 comments:

Quycksilver said...

I hate the dentist too. Haven't been in a while because my insurance changed, but I should probably get on that one of these days . . .

But the last guy I went to insisted that I needed a "deep cleaning" which the insurance paid for, so I figured why not--the assistant basically numbed my gums and they did it. Afterwards, as my mouth bled and bled, i reaslized that the deep cleaning was basically where they go in and root around underneath your gums, But it was numb so it didn't hurt until later, and it wasn't too bad.

6 mos later when I went back, I got the regular cleaning. It ended up being pretty much the same thing but without the numbing first.

OWW!
This is the other reason I haven't been back to the dentist in a while.

the many Bs said...

cute story. I hate the dentist too, but I just sit there and put up with it.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Well, Hi Jodi:

Thanks for stopping by "Romantic Ramblings" earlier and commenting. Hope to see you back there from time to time. Can't imagine how you found me, but our blogs are remarkably similar in title and general appearance.

I'm sure you didn't, but if you'd browsed back into May and seen my posts about getting a gold crown (on molar number 19) you'd relate. In fact next Tuesday I go back to the final visit on THIS procedure to get the permanent crown installed. I'm calling that post, "My Coronation!"

I'll put you on my blogroll list. I plan to be reading your posts!

John

Lia said...

My dentist is crazy. Besides for the expected pain and suffering, he subjects you to lectures on his views of the universe. Apparently all the problems in this world are caused by people breathing through their mouths. Maybe just by people breathing. He kept me two hours, didn't fill my cavity, and told me to come back, but I haven't been - I can't handle the thought of it.

The Zombieslayer said...

Did you ever see the movie where Steve Martin played a sadistic dentist? I'm almost convinced that most dentists are sadists. Of all the pain I've ever had, I've had way more pain in the dental office than on the football field or warming up boxers.

Mad Housewife said...

Dentist drugs are good. Street drugs are bad.

Jessica said...

A friend of mine back in Minnesota was in a class-action lawsuit against her dentist, who lied about performing dental work on patients. He'd drug them up, make them stare at the fluorescent ceiling lights for an hour or so while making convincing noises and fiddling pointlessly, and then bill them for "deep cleanings" or whatever. Eat your heart out, Little Shop of Horrors.