Monday, June 13, 2005

A Lighter Shade of Pale

I think one of my best qualities is my ability to laugh at myself. Especially when I do something to make myself look or feel like an idiot.

This is what I did.

This weekend, with the exception of a few errands, I stayed inside. The weather was a disgusting 90 degrees and given the choice, I would choose an air conditioner over sweating my butt off anyday. Besides, my goal this weekend was to finish the basement. Painting, making a bookcase, more painting, cleaning, more painting...

On one of the errands, I picked up a bottle of one of those tan-in-a-bottle things. I've been skeptical before and didn't want my legs to be a streaky mess, so I just let the sun tan my skin naturally. I don't sit at the beach and bake, I usually tan just walking outside. But since I'm getting more cautious of skin damage (*see blog about getting older below*), I decided that a safe healthy glow was the way to go.

I bought Coppertone. It was a foamy pump that dries in 5 minutes after it is applied. Rub into skin in horizontal and vertical motions, the directions read. I did that. Cover the entire area, the directions read. I did that, too. Atleast I thought I did.

The problem with this Coppertone foamy pump is that it goes on clear. And it doesn't show up until later on. While you're at work. And while I was at work, I notice that it's not as even as I thought. There's an area on both legs, right near my ankles. I wish it would look like a sock line, like a straight line going around my leg. But it's a line graph. One part bare as can be. Winter white. While the rest is my nice safe healthy glow. Luckily, I bought the Light/Medium shade, and not the Medium/Dark shade, so even though it's noticeable to a point, I don't look like one of those half moon cookies.

I think the reason I'm so embarrassed is because I knew better. My multi-shade legs are the reasons I never bought it before. I guess I'll go capri the rest of the week.

-------

Oh, and I have no idea what I did or didn't do, but if anyone is a blogger braniac, I'd love your wisdom in getting what is now at the bottom of the page back to the top right side of the page where it rightfully belongs.I would be in awe of you forever.


Thanks.

4 comments:

kris said...

Jodi, welcome to the wonderful world of the first-time tanner screw ups. Be not afraid. You have made the mistake once and will not do it again.

However, I encourage you to try the fake tanner again - now that you know how to do it, it will probably actually look good!

(Note to all: seriously stay away from feet and eyelids, though. Not pretty.)

Cheers!

Mad Housewife said...

Do you have a div or /div (with < amd > around them) where it's not supposed to be? I don't know what you did without looking at your template. Sorry.

I've done that before too, but I was able to scroll through the template and find it.

Jodi said...

hey. i totally did that same self-tanning thing last summer. i even had neil help me put it on so it would be even.. but after a few minutes my skin started to turn bright orange and it was totally splotchy. i quickly jumped in the shower and got most of it off...thank goodness. I think I will go to a salon and get a spray tan if i ever need to do that again. :)

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Some of your text or and image you've posted is too wide so it shoves the sidebar to the bottom so trim you're posts so that the sidebar can fit.

Cool.