Friday, April 29, 2005

Home Work

I started with this company in July. I decided that what I was doing before (state gov't position - please don't call me a bureaucrat) was not a career. Maybe a career for some people, just not for me. That job was in the city. I took the overcrowded train into work in the mornings and dealt with people who, for some reason or another, chose not to have manners. People who cough or sneeze without covering their mouths bug me. And I am in no way a morning person. I need my morning coffee before I can figure out what to say when someone says, "Good morning." I couldn't understand how people could be so bubbly. Leave me alone and let me read my newspaper/book/magazine. I remember once when my brother and I ended up on the same train. He usually heads into work about an hour before me, but on this day he had to take my niece to pre-school so he was late. I got onto the train and started to read the paper and when we got to the next stop, I saw my brother get on. I called him over and after small chit-chat, we both started to read our papers in silence until we had to get off. He called me later on to tell me how relieved he was that I was not a morning person. All he wanted to do was read the paper and was glad that I also chose to read the paper instead of talking to him the entire trip in.

When I decided to leave my job, it was more than about the career thing, it was also about the commute (but more about the career.) I was tired of having to rely on unreliable trains in the morning. Sometimes they came late, sometimes the heat/AC was broken. I got sick of the commute fast. I wanted to work for a company with an actual parking lot. So I went onto Monster.com, found a great marketing/PR position about 30 minutes away, and here I am.

I love what I do and the commute couldn't be better. Or so I thought.

I just found out that my company doesn't want to own the building anymore. The partners are at the age of retirement. But they love what they do, so they don't retire. One of our clients is a golf course, so on nice days, they head down for a meeting and an afternoon round of golf. As they explained, clients don't come to us, we go to them. Which is true. You could turn our conference room into a greenhouse and no one would care. Our flood insurance has increased, as did our condo fees. Considering the situation, I don't blame them. I was called into a meeting on Friday and was asked that if I could, would I want to work from home? "While you're in Vermont, think about it," I was told. What was there to think about? Do I have a spare room that could be converted into an office? Check. Would I want to wake up in the morning and not have to compete with Ken for time in the bathroom? Check. Would I want to wake up in the morning the day after a major snowstorm and relax knowing that I don't have to rush to brush my car off? Check.

The problem is my total issue with procrastination. Sure, once I have the computer, fax machine, and phone lines set up the goal is to actually get me to turn off the TV after the Today Show and get to work. But then Ellen comes on at 10. And Growing Pains reruns on Disney! What can I say. I love TV. Ooh! I'll also be able to go to the gym during my lunch hour since I won't be so tired after work.

I know that whatever distractions I come up with now are going to be nonexistent when the time actually comes that I will be able to wake up and walk across the hall to work. Someone told me also that if I dressed professionally, I'll be professional. Meaning don't work in my T-shirt and pajama bottoms. I know that as soon as I wake up and shower, I'll be in work-mode.

Is this possible to do or is working from home just one big oxymoron?

8 comments:

Jodi said...

I am a procrastinator too. For me, I think working from home would be a disaster. I got a taste of this in graduate school when I didn't have a job for a while. I imagined that I would wake up and go to the gym and then spend my whole day writing and reading and even cleaning the house sometimes. But actually, I did a lot of procrastinating and TV watching and wedding planning (which was a good thing since my wedding was coming up, but it did not help me write my thesis).

I need social interaction and a place I have to go to do my work... but that's just me. I suppose you would have some stronger motivators, like bosses who expect things from you. And, working from home, you might find that you get more done in less time because we all know that part of the day in the office is spent procrastinating... so maybe you'd get all your work done and have more time for yourself... there is something to be said for not being chained to a desk, but also something to be said for not having to bring your work home. This is a tricky one. Sorry if my comment is absolutely no help at all...

Let me know what you decide to do...

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jodi said...

I also thought about how much non-work work I could get done - gym, food shopping, laundry, housecleaning. Ken said the same thing you did - that I would probably be done with the work earlier than expected and can get this other stuff done. He had a point. How much work do we actually get done at work? Not 8 full hours straight.

I think I'm going to do it. It does benefit everyone. The company would be saving money. I would be eliminating my commute. Plus when we have children, it would eliminate the cost of daycare. And the home office would be a tax write-off. Not to mention the morning convenience benefits listed in the blog.

I found out they met with a realtor while I was away and got an idea of a timeline for the move. One of the partners is away next week and when he comes back, we'll have a follow-up meeting with more specific information.

Mad Housewife said...

I wish I could get paid for blogging. I seem to be good at it. Ha! Ha! :P

Masha said...

the only thing is if you like to be surrounded by people, as opposed to just working by yourself completely...but i think the pros outweigh the cons :)

Quycksilver said...

I'm still in grad school, and I think that part of the reason why I'm in grad school is that I still haven't figured out that if I stay at home, I don't get nearly as much work done. Well, I've figured it out in theory, but have yet to successfully execute it in practice.

Though I did make my 500 word quota today . . . but still I spent more time procrastinating.

But I think that if I actually had an office in my apartment instead of just a desk in my living room, I'd probably be a lot more productive. I just need a dedicated work space, whether it is at home or somewhere else is less important that a room where I know I can't screw around and waste time.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Take a tip from me, I've been without a TV since August 2001 and it's wonderful. Get rid of TV and you'll suddenly find you have a life.

Take my hand Jodi and come with me to a beautiful land!

Weight Loss said...

Home Work... I've enjoyed reading your blog. I was searching for work from home directory sites. I have a home based business and I wanted some ideas and tips. I also have a blog, it is www.adminsupervisor.blogspot.com it’s new and it’s getting better all the time. Have a look if you want, but I'm moving house and have not posted in a while. I'll get back to it soon.

My other site is a work from home directory site. I recently decided to build my own income and I thought I searching for tips would help me become a better mentor.

Keep up the great work Jodi, I'll be back soon.