Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Book Recommendations...

I need a good book recommendation. I'm going away for a long weekend (Stowe, VT - Sat thru Wed) and need a book. I'm into memoirs or autobiographies, but any recommendations best seller- or prize winning- related will also be accepted. And please nothing political. The last few books I read were Good in Bed (it's not about what it sounds like!) by Jennifer Weiner, The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Alborn, DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, and Haven by Ruth Gruber. So as you can see, my taste varies from the thought-provoking and sometimes controversial to the light and witty.

Thanks in advance!

9 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

I read Jen Weiner's other book...can't remember what it's called...oh yeah, The Devil Wears Prada. Not too bad.

Jodi said...

Oh yeah! I heard about that book. Sounds like it'd be a great vacation read. Thanks!

Quycksilver said...

if you like the chick lit genre, you might check out "A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing" though it's been around for a few years now so you may have read it already. If you liked "Da Vinci," most people like Dan Brown's other books too. Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" was really good, and I've heard really good things about Kazuo Ishiguro's new novel "Never Let Me Go" and Tom Wolfe's "I am Charlotte Simmons" but haven't gotten to either yet.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Any book by poet Bill Shields.

Jodi said...

So, Jennifer Weiner wrote two books after Good in Bed, they are In Her Shoes and Little Earthquakes. I really enjoyed them both.

Nonfiction, I recomend Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krause Rosenthal. It's different, but really good.

My favorite book is The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese. It's not as light as the others, but is really an amazing book.

Also, I recently read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (ok ok, so i actually listened to it on CD). It's about a sort of sad topic, but it is awesome and uplifting and really great.

Oh and Jason Headly wrote Small Town Odds, another good novel.

Jodi said...

I liked The Devil Wears Prada, but it's by a different author...Lauren Weisberger or something like that. I think Jennifer Weiner is better.

John Holland said...

A good fantasy is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna CLarke, I've just started reading it and it is very good. She creates a whole different world, but one that is so close to ours at the same time. Very good.

Neil said...

Anything by Nick Hornby.

Purring said...

Light and funny...easy read. Anything by Janet Evanovich.