Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Writer's Blog

I have writer's block. I feel the need to blog, since I haven't updated in a while, but I don't have a particular subject to blab about.

I have an issue with people calling their son or daughter their "kid." It's fine if there are atleast two and you refer to them as "my kids," but the singular "my kid" bugs me. I don't know why I thought of that first.

I think I may have to "dump" a friend, though I don't want to because even though the reasons are valid, looking at it from the whole perspective makes me look shallow. Backstory: Friend since college. Bridesmaid in my wedding. Lived all over the world (Connecticut, California, Norway, now in Massachusetts) and we've kept in close touch all along. She started having problems with her husband in the fall and by December, she has been completely distant from me. I'd leave her messages or emails and after following up when I didn't hear from her, she apologizes and said her mind has been elsewhere. I let it go. Her husband was going to be in Norway over Christmas and I invited her for Christmas with my family. We don't celebrate the holiday, but we do go out for Chinese every year with relatives, who she's met, since she came with us a few years ago. She accepted the invitation even after I told her that if she made other arrangements with her family in Connecticut, I'd understand and to let me know. I called her Christmas Eve to set a time for us to pick her up and she never called back. I didn't hear from her again until a few days after Christmas when I called her to make sure she was okay (I had left a message the day after Christmas, too.) She told me she was fine and that she spent the holiday with her grandmother and she didn't say anything to me since she didn't think our plans were set in stone. I let it go. She let me know in January that she and her husband are separating and gave me her new number. My phone calls haven't been returned and I am sad that she has distanced herself from me. I did ask her to help me out with a work thing that she'd get paid for and she expressed interest, but now I think it's because she's getting paid for it. I have left her messages about the work thing and she hasn't gotten back to me. I did expect that given her recent history of being unreliable and have decided to email her that I'm going to find someone else to do it. So frustrating. This Sh! is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

(Note to Daniel: That last sentence is from a Gwen Stefani song. Not sure if it's made it to your corner of the world. The "Sh!" is a 4-letter word I choose not to include in my blogs. I'm a lady :-) )

I was reminded again today of another reason I want to work from home. Solicitors. I have no problem with people calling me on the phone asking me if I want to buy something. It's easier to either screen the call and don't pick up, or tell them "no" 3 times (when I worked for a consumer affairs agency, I learned that if you say no 3 times, they have to give up.) Hanging up on someone is rude and I refuse to do it. But when people either knock on my door or come into my office, it gets to me. Knocking on my door isn't too bad because I can pretend I;m not home. Walking into my office, I have no place to hide. My building is small. It has three floors, but only 2 or 3 offices to a floor. And there is no reception area so people walk in as they please. I was just disrupted by someone trying to sell meal vouchers. Like a restaurant gift certificate that can be used at a few specific restaurants throughout a specific time period. For $40. Not interested. Before him, a few months back, it was someone selling sports memorabilia. Then some framed animal pictures (think Anne Geddes, but with animals instead of babies) left over from a local store that went out of business. It's just too much, and it adds to the reason I'm getting more excited about the chance to work from home. It sounds like it's going to happen at some point over the next few months.

Oh, and I'm going to a Kentucky Derby party on Saturday and need an outfit. I must go shopping because I own baseball caps, not hats suitable for a Derby party. And if anyone has any recipes or ideas for a suitable Derby style appetizer (finger foods), I will be appreciative.

5 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

unfortunately gwen stefani has made it over here...

Quycksilver said...

tough call with the friend. Sounds like you don't actually have to do any dumping though. I don't know. Sometimes in tough times it's hard to be around people who remind of of happier times. Don't know if that's what's going on with your friend, but it's a thought. Maybe she'll eventually get through whatever it is and come back around, and you can decide whether or not you want to deal. maybe not. but it sucks to be the one always doing all the work in any kind of relationship, so I'm glad that you're calling it a day.

I'm not a big fan of "kid" either. In fact, I'm not a fan of most words having to do with goats. except billy. I like billy.

:)

Mad Housewife said...

Don't like 'kid' either. I may have used it, but I don't like it. Kind of like the word 'y'all'. I know I have used it, but I don't like it.

I, too, have had friends of the very same kind. I agree with your possible decision to simply let the friendship dissolve. If she's not interested in your friendship anymore, then why should you waste your time and energy on it?

I use the word sh! (as you put it). I agree that it's not lady-like and I really shouldn't use that word. There are in fact worse words, however, I believe 'crap' is a more suitable substitution for sh! and I will try to watch my language.

I don't know anything about a Kentucky Derby. That's a horse race, isn't it? A major competition in the world of horse racing? I suppose there will be a lot of men at this party as men in general like these sort of things, so something easy to grab and not too fancy might be a good idea. Finger sandwiches are a bit redundant but I have a version that says 'I Love You' to my husband.

Recipe/Assembly:
French bread, Italian bread, or some sort of bread in the same long shape, slice and separate top from bottom, condiment of your choice (Dijon mustard is my favorite but olive oil and red wine vinegar aren't bad either - just add those two on last atop your veggies, little squirts so not to make the bread soggy), provalone cheese, hard salami (not the other salami), and whatever veggies you think might be satisfying. Personally, I change it up all the time. But my favorite toppings are green-leaf lettuce, red onion slices, sometimes black olive slices, tomato slices, fresh chopped basil, or whatever I have in the kitchen. I try to keep it with the Italian/European cafe theme, but sometimes it ends up being the 'pile of stuff' theme. I've been known to have proscutio too. Anyway, get the meat/cheese from the deli counter and the bread from the bakery area (not the shelf on the bread aisle). I slice my creation at a slant opposite the grooves in the top half of the loaf (you know what I mean) and serve. And there you have your dressed up finger sandwiches a la Red. Now that I've made myself hungry, I think I will add all the ingredients to my grocery list and make some this weekend. It seems as though I have flung a craving upon myself.

Unknown said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. Here's a subject that interests many; check out these collectible sports memorabilia items - Sports Related Gift

Unknown said...

A real enlightening blog. Don't stop now. No better time than now to check out these collectible sports memorabilia items - Sports Memorabilia Store