Friday, April 15, 2005

Anyone want to move to Jupiter?

I got a weird message this morning on my cell phone from a woman. "Hi Jodi, you called me yesterday for whatever reason and I'm just calling you back." I say my name in my outgoing voice mail message, so I'm assuming that's how she knew my name. I checked my Missed Calls file and recognized the area code as being from Florida. I also check my Recently Dialed list and her number isn't on it.

I went online and did a reverse phone number check. It is a name I don't recognize and she lives in Jupiter, Florida. And so I call her back. She told me that my number came up on her caller id which is even weirder because I have the option checked off on my phone to hide my number. I also have a SIM card in my phone that protects people from hacking in. I didn't tell her this because she sounded like a woman who wouldn't know what a SIM card is. She reminded me of my aunt, my mother, my father, and my boss who all ask for help in programming their cell phones/email and who think they're computer geniuses because they've mastered the "Save As" function on Word. Actually, I also wouldn't tell her about the SIM card because I also don't know what a SIM card is, just that it protects my phone from evil hackers.

I asked her if she could have read the number wrong, maybe the area code was 718 instead of 781. She said no, that she used to have friends in this area so she originally thought it may have been them. She also admitted that she usually doesn't call anyone long distance back if they don't leave a message but since she's selling her house, she thought that maybe I saw the listing and was interested. We engaged in a lovely conversation about real estate since I seem to be surrounded by people either selling (my parents) or looking to buy (aunt and uncle) and she asked if I knew anyone looking to buy in Jupiter.

I told her no, but I'll keep my eyes open for her.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

this is hilarious! how strange. It was nice of you to talk to her a little...i wonder how she got your number?

I also have a sim card in my phone. I thought it was just the chip that stored my phone number and my phone book, had no clue it was supposed to protect from hackers. hmm...

Jakehimself said...

JODI, this is Jake, you left a post on my blog earlier... I NEED HELP. Really, I dont have a clue. If you get a minute this afternoon (I'll be out till 3) or any time this weekend, give me a call... my number's on jakebronstein.com under contact (I dont know why I'm willing to put it on the web, but scared to post it here). Anyway, even if you dont call, thanks...
-j

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Do you attact of lot of fruitloops then Jodi?

John Holland said...

At first I thought you meant the planet and thought this was going to be a strange post, lol.