Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Don't Go To Vermont in April

... So said the Fodor's-like guidebook I checked out a few days after we checked in. My response? "Um..Duh!"

Vermont in April is considered off-season. I had no idea. My parents went to Stowe in October and raved about it. "It is the perfect place for your anniversary," they said. Yeah, maybe if our anniversary was in October.

Nothing was open. Well, a few places were. We did everything we planned (except for horseback riding and driving through Smuggler's Notch, both of which aren't available until mid-May), even though it rained all but one day. If I was alone, it would have been a horrible trip. I went to San Francisco about 5 years ago by myself and it was great. A friend of mine lived in San Jose at the time so I stayed with her for a night, but the next day I headed to San Fran for a week by myself and had a blast. I had always heard that you need to take a vacation by yourself atleast once in your life and so I did. I'm just glad that Stowe in April was not that trip.

We saw how Vermont Teddy Bears are made. We saw how Ben and Jerry's ice cream is packed and ready to ship (and sampled Fossil Fuel - a new flavor - YUM!), and we bought some Cabot Cheese and Vermont Maple Syrup and saw the Trapp Family Lodge, which was where the Sound of Music was based on. We hiked, though not as much as we hoped, and we got lost plenty o' times, all which were quite a comical adventure. We drove through covered bridges (I love love LOVE covered bridges - they all made me think of the Bridges of Madison County), and even visited Plattsburgh, NY for 10 minutes.

So when pictures are downloaded, I'll sign up for the Hello thing and show you our trip.

And thank you, Red, for your very special blog dedicated to our weekend. It made me smile. And please let us know what happens between Sabina and Sam.

2 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

You're so very welcome! :)

And Sabina and Sam are currently 3 days away from meeting each other. Stay tuned for what happens next time on...So Far Untitled (Part 5)!!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You are very lucky to get that close to the ben & Jerry's empire. I think I may have dived in the vat of goop and drwoned in the stuff.