Thursday, December 01, 2005

When will I know how to be a parent?

I try not to post much about my pregnancy. Of course, it's a huge part of my life right now, but I don't want this to turn into a strictly pregnancy blog. But I'm starting to freak out.

Driving home on Sunday, I felt the baby move. It was a little flutter, followed by what I assume was a kick. It was very cool. It just made this whole thing real. I saw the ultrasound two months ago (has it really been that long?), but actually feeling a kick? Just took it to a whole new level. And with that new level brought a little panic.

This weekend, spending time with my niece and nephew... made me think about what type of mom I'll be. I think I'm a cool aunt. I play with dolls and trucks and I buy toys when they beg and read them stories with funny voices and I play pretend. But then I go home. I'm not there for the important stuff, like disciplining, or cleaning up scrapes, or taking them to the doctors, or knowing how to stop a cry, or answering life's questions. My niece once asked me why I drink water all the time when it doesn't even taste like anything, and where does water even come from? That was easy to answer, compared to the rest of what she probably asks her parents.

I wish there were more books written by parents - not doctors - about what is right and what is wrong. Doctors seem to exaggerate and never tell you not to worry if your child is not walking/talking/potty trained/eating solid foods/out of a crib according to schedule. There is one answer for everything, according to doctors. Parents tell it like it is. Lessons they have learned from experience. "No need to worry," they'd write. "My child went through this, and turned out fine." That's what I want to hear. No medical terminology. No statistics. Just stories.

On Wednesday, we'll find out if these kicks belong to a boy or a girl. It's all just very overwhelming.

6 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Children are nearly idiot proof.

Enjoy it, you'll be great, love 'em lots and don't try and heal all the mistakes your parents made (if any) and you'll be cool

:-)

Duke_of_Earle said...

Okay, Jodi...
Wednesday has come and gone. Is the baby a girl, or (shudder) a boy? Dying to know.

John

Jodi said...

Next Wednesday, December 7th.

Don't Rush Me!

Jodi said...

they tell me it just comes to you. i have faith that you'll figure it out. we didn't realize it as kids so much, but our parents were making it up as they went along too. :)

Quycksilver said...

I think it's one of those things that people just kinda figure out as they go along. Of course, I'm only raised cats, so I'm not exactly an expert.

kris said...

The fact that you even doubt yourself will probably make you an even better mom!

Thanks for sharing your anxieties with us. I appreciate you being so real about this experience!

Hope you'll share more with us as things move along . . . :) Good luck tomorrow.