Friday, December 23, 2005

Happy Chrismakkawanzaa

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people take life too seriously. Or more commonly known as, "The PC Police."

Case in point. I was watching the local news the other day about the debate over taking "Christmas" out of everything and replacing it with the word "Holiday". Christmas lights will now be marketed as Holiday lights. The Boston Mayor also made it known that this year, at the annual tree lighting, it will be the Holiday tree that will be lit up. Saturday Night Live made fun of it during their news segment and then joked that instead of the annual lighting of the Menorah, the Mayor will be lighting the Holiday Candelabra. It's a bit out of hand.

My Christmas celebration is a tradition of dinner at at Chinese restaurant with about 10 relatives. I don't celebrate Christmas, and I have no desire to use any other terminology that a disgruntled member of society lobbied for. For the record, they are CHRISTMAS LIGHTS! Whatever colors they are, whatever shape you put them in, they are Christmas lights. If I did celebrate Christmas, I'd put up lights. Heck, I'd put up a tree and adorn my front lawn with one of those cute inflatable snow globes that are new this year. I don't know anyone who celebrates any other holiday, and still puts up lights. That is why they are called Christmas Lights. That's all there is too it.

When I was in high school, the winter semi-formal was called Santa's Dream, until someone complained. And so it was changed to to the equally corny Winter Wonderland. Maybe my distates for all things PC started then.

Why do we have to be so politically correct all the time? Who made that rule? Just let it be. That's the way it was, that's what we're used to, and that is what we know is right.

And changing the Pledge of Allegiance for the Atheists so that His name is removed? Seriously. Please just let us have this one. If you don't want to say it, don't. You don't have to stand, you don't have to face the flag, and you don't have to place one hand over your heart. That is your right. But let us do it if we want to. Isn't that our right?

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Happy Kwanzaa. Whatever you celebrate, enjoy it.

2 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Well said (or written!) Merry Christmas!

John