Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sometimes I'm Just An Idiot.

Saturday morning, I drove down to my car dealer to have my tires rotated and to have a piece of weather stripping that was coming loose on my door re-attached. I was expecting a long line waiting to get in, but was surprised to find that I was second in line, and thrilled that the wait wouldn't be too long. I couldn't find the spare key that I usually keep in my purse, so I took off the key from my keychain and put it loosely in the ignition, got out and closed the door. I told the tech the reason for my visit and he went over to the car to check out the weather stripping problem. And the door was locked.

I knew it. All the while I was taking my key off the chain, I was telling myself something will happen and I won't have a key. But I figured, what could happen? It's not like they're going to lose my key. So as he looked at me with that "Please, have a spare" look, I could only feel my face falling into my hands and mumbling, "I can't believe I just did that." I was embarrassed. I was holding up a line, and I had to wait at the desk as he asked everyone around if they knew anyone that could jimmy a car. I felt like calling a prison that was a few towns over. Surely someone there would know how to break into a car.

No one at the dealership knew how how to get the car open, and so 45 minutes and $90 later, a new key was made. I asked if this happens often, and he lied and told me it did. He couldn't have been nicer. And I couldn't have been more apologetic since I was holding up the line and wasting his time.

I was probably making more out of it than necessary, but I kick myself over stuff like this. Especially when I have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that could have been prevented.

And I still have no idea what I did with my original spare.

6 comments:

kris said...

Oh yeah, this is a me moment.

So funny Hula just mentioned Laurie Notaro. I was just trying to track down her AZ column last night. She understands our pain, J . . . :)

Quycksilver said...

You have an excuse--you're pregnant! You can forget whatever and blame it on the hormones . . . my friend, who is normally brilliant, did all sorts of bone-head things while "under the influence."

As for me, I'm just bone-headed on a fairly regular basis.
:)

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

90 bucks?

Jesus wept!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Jodi,

I was waiting for the punchline to be, AFTER you paid the $90 for a new key, you found the original spare at the bottom of your purse. That's the way it would have happened in MY family.

John

Blogger said...

thats all right, we all do things like that. i was elected to be sober cab last night and left my car and drove someone elses. i come back and my car has been towed. mother f*****. so all the drunk bastards made it home safely and i, the sober one, got my car towed. bitches

Duke_of_Earle said...

Jodi,

Hope all is OK up there in Massa Two Shettes. (That's sorta what we called it when I went to college at Tufts in Medford many, many years ago.)

I thought about you and your "Dobermans" neighbors when I wrote my post yesterday, "You might be a redneck." Been thinking of you ever since.

John