Friday, December 16, 2005

Will Blog For Food

I've never been unemployed before. And now I am.

I haven't blogged because I've been emotionally drained, but without actually being emotional. When I found out that the major client that I work with has revamped their company and is taking everything in-house, I was relieved. The company had become quite a headache in the past few months and I was planning to look elsewhere next fall.

When the rumor that they were thinking about it was made public, I went onto Monster and applied for a job. I also contacted my old boss who was more than happy to look for an open position. Just to cover my bases. When the rumor became truth, I wasn't worried because I had minutes earlier checked my email and saw that Dunkin Donuts saw my resume on Monster and wanted to set up a phone interview for a position in their corporate offices. Now, I love Dunkin Donuts. Their coffee is my morning addiction (well, I've had to cut down in the past couple of months...) And so I figured that when the Mothership calls, you can't pass up the opportunity. And so a phone interview was set up. Knowing that this interview existed, and knowing that my previous employer is on the lookout, lightened the fall of my job situation. The phone interview went well, and the recruiter told me that she would pass my resume on to the hiring manager.

Which brings up another issue. Baby.

I'm due to have a child in 4 months. Seriously, would you hire me?

(It's a girl by the way. YAY!)

I know that not hiring a person based on being pregnant is illegal, blah blah blah. But the truth is, it happens. Of course I'll make it known in an interview (I'm not showing to the point where it's obvious) and let them know that daycare plans are in place (sort of) and that I would be available for anything while I'm out on leave, pretty much at their beck and call. But is that enough?

I was relieved a few days ago when I heard the news. Overjoyed. But now. I spent the morning on Monster sending out resumes before heading out and catching up on my million errands. Today was my first full day of not going into an office. I feel lost. Unsure. Drained. But hopeful.

7 comments:

Quycksilver said...

I'm not exactly one in the position to give advice here, but I think I'd wait to bring up the baby until it became an issue. Obviously you can't (and shouldn't be dishonest about it), but I also don't think it's wise to bring it up too soon simply because you'll be remembered as the pregnant one, no matter how qualified you are--it's more of a distractor than anything else (and I know how horrible it probably sounds). If they interview and they love you, then they'll bring you in to discuss the position further, and then I'd disclose because at that point they obviously like you and will be much more likely to do what they need to do to hire you.

I'm definitely not saying that you should hide anything, but the beauty of the phone interview is that it's a non-issue. It would only be an issue if you brought it up, and you are under no obligation at that point to do so, so I wouldn't worry about it. Let them pursue your application on the basis of it's own merits and go from there.

*steps down off soap box*
But I know what you're going through, at least with the jobs.
:)

Duke_of_Earle said...

Jodi,

Speaking as a Human Resources Manager, I agree with quycksilver. I would NOT bring it up in the first interview for the very reasons she lists. If they like you, they'll want to talk further, and THEN I would fully disclose your situation, including your plans for day care, continuing your career, and so on. If you're qualified and they like you, it won't matter to them, not that they'd ever admit it anyway.

Best of luck! And congrats on having a girl!

Jodi said...

I never mentioned anything in my phone interview about it. I want them to meet me and get to know me before I tell them. When they call me for a sit down interview, I'll let it be known at the end.

kris said...

I have no advice, but I can commiserate with the search (sans pregnancy). They'd be fools not to hire such an expressive, bright woman as you are. Good coffee or not.

Jodi said...

ugh... having just completed the not at all fun job search, i feel for you! I hope you find a great job with understanding people in charge. Hang in there!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Think of all the free donuts!

Jessica said...

Good luck.