Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Signs My Father is Close to Losing It

1. "I want a BMW."

In a little over two weeks, my father will be officially retired. He will wake up on August 1st and for the first time in 40-something years, he will be out of a job.
As the responsibility-free days approach, the realization of waking up without a thing to do are sinking in.
2. "I'd love a boat. Not a big boat, just a small boat to sail in a lake and be able to relax."

He wants part-time work, nothing to do with what he does now. And so I helped him create his very first resume.

3. "Wouldn't it be cool to work for the Cape Cod Potato Chip Company? I could answer the hotline and talk to people about how great the chips are."

This is when my brother and I tease him about the prank call we'd make telling him we'd found a finger in one of the bags.

4. "Maybe I can apply to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. Just part-time. Maybe I could do some office work."

This is actually a good idea. It would be a great fit for him. In browsing through some job postings, he finds a few part-time listings for seniors, then is disappointed to learn that the qualifications are for seniors in high school as part of an after-school program.

5. "No, we are not selling my computer desk. Hear me out. We can put it in the storage area and I can use it the top of the desk as a workbench. You know, for cutting wood. Or maybe if I have to glue something."

My father is not handy. He's never cut a piece of wood in his life.

And my personal favorite...

6. "You know what I'd love? A metal detector. I'd love to wake up at 6 every morning and head to the beach and walk around with a metal detector. Wouldn't it be fun to see what I'd find? You don't think that's cool?"

1 comment:

Quycksilver said...

that metal detector quote might as well have been uttered by my dad too--he hasn't yet, but I gcould totally hear him saying a lot of these same exact things . . . of course, he'll never retire becuase he'd go nuts without a job to do. He's actually even talked about retiring to become a teacher. I think my dad would be a great teacher, but it's not exactly what most people would call "retirement."
:)