Wednesday, July 27, 2005

If You're Not Going To Use It, Give It Back!

For those just joining us, my next door neighbors live in a trailer. Read my Neighborly Advice post to find out why, and scroll up for updates. I'm going to refer to these neighbors from now on as the Dobermans. I have no idea what their actual last name is, but I see their dogs more often than I see them, so I figured referring to them by the breed of dog they own would be more fitting.

I looked out the window this morning.

"It's gone!"

"The lawnmower? Seriously?"

Recently, Ken's father gave us their lawnmower to replace the piece o' crap that we had. So Ken put the old one in front of our mailbox with a sign, "Take Me." And someone did.

On my way to work, as I pulled out of the driveway. Something caught my eye. I couldn't quite make it out, but as I got closer to the Doberman's, I saw it. Our lawnmower. In their yard. The sight of it made me laugh out loud. I know they won't use it. Their yard is a mess, considering that there is a mobile home smack dab in the middle of it. I assume the primary reason they took it because it's free. But I question what it will be used for. A lawn ornament to cover a patch the last piece of visible crabgrass? Or maybe as a gentle reminder of what lies ahead when they move the trailer.

Time will tell.

2 comments:

Duke_of_Earle said...

Jodi,

I laughed out loud. My wife asked me, "What?" So I read her your post.

"Tales of the Dobermans" may be the title of my next novel. Lots of possibilities!

John

Mad Housewife said...

Hee hee! Now that you've given them a gift, maybe cleaning up their yard and rebuilding their eyesore should be their gift to you.