Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Cooking for Dummies

Confession: I love to cook.

I sometimes think that if I grow tired of marketing, I'd love to own a cafe. Homemade soups, salads, and sandwiches. Maybe I'd have a sitting area with a bookshelf and a rack of the daily newspapers for those that like to linger. I wouldn't want to be in the city where there is way too much competition. Just a small place in the 'burbs, on a somewhat busy street, with plenty of windows so passersby can see the pastry case in clear view. I'll rotate my soup menu each week, but in the winter, chili will always be served. I make a mean chili. What's your specialty?

On Sundays, I turn into the Weekend Gourmet. I am not restricted to ingredients on hand or time to prepare, like I am during the week. I'll find a new recipe (or use an old favorite), run to the market during my Sunday errands and pick up the ingredients I need, and take the time to prepare dinner. Ken blames me for the pounds he is putting on, but I cook extremely healthy, and he doesn't understand the term 'portion control." The again, sometimes I don't either.

The only dessert that has worked for me is pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. For some reason other desserts never come out right. I'd love to take a dessert cooking class. I cringe when I'm asked to bring a dessert, and want to bribe someone into switching dishes, warning them that otherwise they'd be getting charcoal brownies.

2 comments:

Quycksilver said...

Let's partner up! I can make mean desserts: carrot cake, cheesecake, cookies-n-creme cake, flourless chocolate cake, pineapple upside-down cake, apple tarts. The sad thing is that I almost never make anny of these things, because, living alone, I'd end up eating them all and weighing about 400 pounds. I only bake for special occasions these days, and it's been a while because in the summer, it's too hot in my apartment to think about turning on the oven.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Confession: I'll fix myself eggs in the morning, but other than that I cook not at all. If tweren't for my wonderful wife and restaurants, I'd starve fer sure. I sure am grateful for those who DO love to cook, though.

John