Monday, May 16, 2005

I'm Drained

So the big yard sale was this weekend. My parents emptied out their house (somewhat literally) and are thismuch closer to retirement and moving. People had bought a lot of their furniture and came back with a truck to take it away. We later walked in to an empty living room and kitchen. What a weird feeling.

At 7:30 Saturday morning, I arrived at their house with
munchkins and coffee. My parents (nor I) had never hosted a yard sale and didn't quite know what to expect. I had gone onto a website earlier in the week to look at tips for having one. It was non-stop from 8 am to 1:30. Madness. I went home and slept for two hours, watched a Saturday Night Live re-run, and crashed. Sunday was the same routine (minus the munchkins) and by the end of the weekend, they made about $950 and sold their entire living room, kitchen and bedroom set. The whole event was pretty fun and was a nice incentive for Ken and I to look at our junk and plan our own sale.

Neighbor Crap
The Building Inspector called back. Come to think of it, No, he hasn't heard anything from the family. He told me that usually, they'll call the town when the house is ready to be gutted (which he expected it would be) and that maybe he'll make a stop over there at some point during the week to see what's going on. Nice, right?
Not so much.

Me: And then what?
Building Inspector: What do you mean?
Me: What happens after you go over there?
BI: I'll see if they have any plans to gut the house. I'll bring the Health Inspector, since this is their jurisdiction also.
Me: How long do they have to do something?
BI: What do you mean?

(Please stop saying that)
Me: Isn't there a statue of limitations on how long they have to fix a house?
BI: Oh, there isn't a time limit.
Me: So they could live there forever?
BI: Technically yes, but they can't.
Me: What do you mean?

(Right back 'atcha)
BI: There isn't a time limit, but they can't live in a trailer because it goes against health code. You can follow up with the Board of Health next week or I can give them your number.

I'll call the Health Board next week if I don't hear anything. Though I have a feeling I may have reached a dead end. In any case, it gives me motivation to try to change the law to require a statute of limitations on home repair after a fire.

6 comments:

Quycksilver said...

I used to love munchkins! Haven't had them in years and years, probably because Krispy Kreme has the market on donuts cornered in southern california! Yum.

And good for you with the follow-through! very impressive!

Jay said...

Definitely follow that up...ugh, what a mess.

Jodi said...

Hey Jodi... ok. you haven't reached a dead end. that inspector guy helped you out by telling you they are breaking the health code. call the health department and tell them about the people and I bet they will go make them move out of the trailer! I think you are well on your way to fixing the neighbor problems. :)

What is it about doughnuts and yard sales. When we had our garage sale two weekends ago, we had Dunkin Doughnuts. (But Munchkins are better...)

Glad the yard sale went well. Sometimes, in spite of sentimental attachment, it feels really good to get rid of things -- almost a sort of cleansing really... After our garage sale, I felt much lighter. :)

Mad Housewife said...

Keep at it! You'll get results sooner or later. Just don't give up.

The Zombieslayer said...

That conversation with the building inspector reminds me of the movie Brazil.
By the way, what are Munchkins?

Anonymous said...

glad you had a successful yardsale - thanks for linking my site to your blog.

chris