Tuesday, May 31, 2005

It's Wicked Pissah!

I read in a magazine this weekend that the Boston accent is deemed as the worst there is, that it is looked to be lower class. I was a little surprised, seeing that I didn't think the accent was so hated. I knew accents were stereotyped (deep southern as "rednecks", etc.) but thought nothing of the one I grew up with.

Your Linguistic Profile:

45% Yankee
35% General American English
10% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
I lost my accent about 12 years ago when I was in college. I was volunteering for Project Vote Smart, a national hotline where voters from around the country called and questioned where their respective candidates stood on various issues. I too often heard, "You sound like you're from New England," and even though nothing offensive or mocking was said, I started to focus on my every word and eventually the "r" came back into my dialect and the accent went away (though words like "shower" and "water" are sometimes the exception...)

Flipping through channels last night I came across an interview with a guy from Survivor who has one of the thickest accents I have ever heard. It was horrible. I quickly changed the station and hoped I was never that awful.

And yeah, he did sound lower class.

6 comments:

Rat In A Cage said...

That's just another instance of the system keeping the Irish down. Fuck 'em all.

I too have troubles with "water" saying wader, soder, ideer, fughetaboutit, are you tawkin' to me?

The Zombieslayer said...

I'd have to agree that no American accent is uglier than the Boston accent. Sorry.

Southern accents are sexy. I probably have a California accent by now (I'm a Yankee by birth though), and to me, California accents are between neutral and annoying. I'd readily admit they sound flaky.

Quycksilver said...

i speak something like 75% general English according to that chart, but I think the chart is whqacked because there wwere plenty of questions where I'd speak in tongues before uttering any of the available options. That, however, was not an answer choice.

I think that the omni-accent has less to do with canada and more to do with media-proliferation. Sommewhere along the line, higher-ups decided that regional accents no-longer sounded quaint and were instead indicators of the lack of education and cosmopolitan sophistication. Hence the blue-collar boston association, same thing with the bronx or the deep south.

But, stepping down off the soapbox, you haven't heard an atrocious accent until you hear a native Pittsburgher. Trust me, it's not pretty.

Jodi said...

Yes, southern accents are very sexy... along with the British and Australian.

And I'm not so sure about the Chomsky idea.

The Zombieslayer said...

Said, Canada's a foreign country? I thought it was just an extension of Minnesota.

abraham said...

appliance repair bakersfield californiaappliance repair in san diego Ca,appliance repair bakersfield california