Monday, January 09, 2006

I Bet You Think This Blog Is About You

My blogging isn't something I talk about. I've mentioned it in passing to my husband who hasn't mentioned much interest in reading it, but I know he is curious. Occasionally, he'll see me online and ask what I'm doing.

"Catching up on blogging," I'll sometimes reply.
"Oh," is his regular response.

The first time I mentioned it, he asked what a blog was. He's not much of an online person. He'll pay bills and check email and read the top business headlines, but he doesn't surf the web much. So I told him a blog was sort of an online diary where people can comment and link to their own. "Oh."

He has no idea that I sent a few people giftcards as a result of that promo that I wrote about a few months ago. He would be shocked to see pictures and accompanying stories about the neighbors (I made him delete early pictures he took of the house and view that I thought were invasions of privacy. I didn't tell him that I changed my mind and instead thought they'd be a good read.) He wouldn't understand that I have online "friends." Not that he would care, he just wouldn't get it.

And so it was a little surprising one day when he asked if I blogged about him. He is always interested in what I do, and I know he's been curious, but he knows that I value my privacy when it comes to certain things. I don't keep secrets, but I hate when people read over my shoulder, whether it be a newspaper or seeing what I'm doing online. So when I'm online, he knows not to look at what I'm doing.

I told him that I didn't think I ever dedicated an entire post about him - atleast, until now - but I have mentioned him a few times here and there, and that he's always open to read it if he wants. He's never asked for the site, so I assume that since he knows there isn't anything scandalous written, he's okay with it.

If he asks, I'll let him read. But part of me likes the fact that no besides him knows if its existence and that so far, he hasn't asked for the site. Not that I've written anything juicy (I've so been tempted), but this is like something all my own. As long as it lasts.

2 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Interesting.

Marie keeps her distance but alway sreads it when I'm not around and when I'm away she uses it to keep in touch.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Yeah. I understand. Carol won't read MY blog either, unless I ask her to.

But now you've got me siniging Carly Simon songs! "You're so Vain!")