Sunday, January 29, 2006

I'm Not Your Baby's Daddy

Sigh...

Tomorrow is my first day of my new job and I won't have trash tv to escape to anymore.

I have no problem admitting to being a fan of Ellen Degeneres. Daytime talk shows are usually an hour of hearing a host who loves to hear herself speak (hello, Oprah). Ellen is refreshing and her quick wit kept my attention when I was too lazy to do anything else.

I'm not a fan of Maury Povich. His shows are ridiculous and absurd and pretty much a train wreck. Which is what caught my attention of course. The two or three shows I caught revolved around paternity tests to determine which of the 15 candidates could have fathered a young woman's poor child. The audience is made to feel bad for the woman, but I felt sympathy for the men, who had to be forced to sit next to a woman whose weakness for these men as well as their relatives and friends were pitiful. And just like a train wreck, it was difficult to look away.

TLC used to be my favorite channel. From Trading Spaces to While You Were Out, I was fascinated with decorating tips and how quickly I could feng shui my living room. But then they got personal. A Dating Story takes along on a blind date that was fixed up my mutual friends. A Wedding Story captures the planning, stress, and final product of said planning and stress. And finally, A Baby Story tells the story of a couple a month or so before the baby arrives all the way into the delivery room. After the baby is born, the family is shown a week later gushing and laughing at how well they are adjusting. I figured I would love this show. Prepare me for one of lifes miracles. I figured I would like this show. For one, well duh, I'm pregnant. But I used to love those Discovery Channel Shows where they took you into the operating room for breast implants or liposuction. Something about them fascinated me. But after catching a few episodes, I have come to realize that A Baby Story is the WORST show to watch if you are pregnant. It's too detailed... and it freaked me out.

So being lazy was fun and relaxing. I was able to paint the new nursery and catch up on everything I needed to do without scheduling around a schedule. So, bye Ellen. So long Maury. Til we meet again, Regis and Kelly.

5 comments:

kris said...

Tivo, baby!

Good luck at the new job. Mine started only two weeks ago so I understand. Here's to friendly coworkers, a first-day lunch outing, and a printer chock full of toner!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Your post title alarmed me but I'm ok now.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Hope the new job goes better than you expect! Let us know, please.

John

Jodi said...

the missing of daytime TV will only feel like a loss for a day or so... trust me. i have been there. i hope the new job is going well!

Quycksilver said...

How's the new job?
Hope all is well!

And yes, you should get a tivo! That way when you are up in the middle of the night feedling the baby, you can catch up on back episodes of oprah (or whatever!)