Wednesday, March 15, 2006

See Dick Dance. Dance, Dick, Dance.

For our last official real nice date night out as "DINK"s (Double Income, No Kids), my family treated Ken and me to a fancy dinner and a play, The Full Monty.

I saw the movie years ago when it came out in theaters. I had forgotten most of the details of the movie, but remember the basic premise. Set in Britain, unemployed blue-collar men of all shapes and sizes are jealous that their wives and girlfriends spend their time at the strip clubs, that they decide to form their own male revue and give it a go. That is what I remember.

The night we went was the last night of the performance, and we found that many in the audience had been before.

"The end is the best."
"Have you seen the movie? This has NOTHING on the movie."
"Make sure you're awake for the end. And don't blink or sneeze."
"Is he uncomfortable with nudity?" a woman asks, nodding her head towards Ken.

There were many similarities between the play and the movie as far as plot. There were a few differences, like the setting (Buffalo, NY) and that there were more musical numbers than the original.

The major difference?

The last scene of the night. The final musical number. I knew there would be stripping. If I recalled, the last scene in the movie showed the men in all their glory with only the policeman's hat that was their costume covering the goods. That's what I was expecting. What I got? An eyeful. Little by little, the costumes came off. Everyone was cheering, obviously knowing what was to come.

There was a Bachelorette Party in the house that night, and one of the castmembers tried to drag the very embarrassed bride-to-be onto the stage to get a closer look. Blushing, she would go no further than the steps leading up to the stage.

Right before the curtain fell and the lights went out, they dropped the hats. Six little Jr's all in a row. In my shock and laughter, I tried to skim all six, but only really focused on one.

The acting was outstanding, the vocals were second to none, and the comaraderie among actors was obvious. Ken loved it. I thought he would be a little uncomfortable with male nudity, but because the play was fantastic, he didn't really see that as a letdown. He was glad that it was the last run of the play because he knew I'd probably want to see it five more times.

No comments: