Tuesday, September 13, 2005

September Musings

Sunday I turned 31. It's weird having a birthday on 9/11. For the past four years, my self-imposed birthday ritual has been to watch the morning remembrances on television. Usually family members reading names. For the past three years, all the local and national news stations dedicated a decent portion of their telecast to the memorials. This year, they all took a back seat to Katrina. Another devasting tragedy. Another time to stare blankly at the television set amazed that scenes like that are unfolding. Another reminder how fragile human life can be. A former co-worker called me today. "Hi Jodi, it's Leslie. I just wanted to wish you a late happy birthday and to let you know that I thought of you on September 11th." That just sounds weird. She thought of me on September 11th. For some reason, I find that very humbling.

My company is finalizing the sale of the office building, so I'll be working from home soon, possibly by the end of November. I can't wait. I thought I would miss the office banter and the comraderie among all of us on a daily basis, but the thought of ending my commute and the random annoyances of the building are too awesome to want to pass up.

The Doberman's are working their tails off (pun intended) in getting their house revamped FINALLY. They're not demolishing and starting over, which I thought they would. More like taking down a wall, putting up a wall. This week they removed the vinyl siding they had done only weeks before the fire and the windows in their side room (if you scroll down the pics in "Meet The Dobermans", you'll see what I'm talking about) are completely gone. That side room (last pic, room in front of the garage) now looks like a cardboard house with big square holes cut out for the windows.

I have news, which I can't disclose just yet. Maybe you can guess, maybe not. It has consumed my mind lately, which is why I haven't been updatng or commenting on your blogs.

And thank you to Jodi for promising me a mix CD. She makes them for her friends, and she so awesomely offered to send a few to her readers. I used to make mix tapes when I was in junior high, so when she put the offer out there, I couldn't help but beg for one. Okay, I didn't beg, but I would have.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Happy late b-day Jodi. I understand how weird that must be to have your b-day be Sept. 11. I have had several bad things happen on my own b-day including the death of a close family member and the attempted suicide of another. For a while it didn't feel right to celebrate my birthday, but then I decided to take it back. What better way to honor my deceased relative and the recovery of my other relative than by celebrating my birthday. I guess that's a bit more tricky with Sept. 11. But I was thinking just this year that we all need to take the day back. It is feeling more notmal each year. This year, I went to a Colorado Rockies game and there was a military flyover which was nice.. but otherwise, it was baseball on a sunny day in September and it felt good.

ok. enough rambling. I hope your secret news is good news. I have an inkling.

CD coming soon.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I'm 30 next year.

Can't wait.